Access and Inclusion
I know that the Moreton Bay Region has a higher incidence of disability than the Queensland average, with 1 in every 17 people having a severe or profound disability requiring assistance.
Since 2011, this cohort has grown at twice the general population growth rate (2.4%) of the Moreton Bay Region…
It’s time for Council to take its next step on its access and inclusion journey and look outward not inward.
Council needs to further consider disability parking, transport and incorporating accessibility into design excellence standards.
Recognising these issues also is my policy that Council should launch a Good Access is Good for Business initiative.
Council should aim to help small businesses and retailers become more accessible for people with a disability, older people, parents with prams and small children.
Council should develop a Good Access is Good for Business guide that offers advice on how to make your business more accessible.
That will convey that providing greater access to all potential customers can build a stronger customer base and increase your revenue.
One example being by having lower counters and ensuring there is an appropriate circulation space for people in a wheelchair.
I will be proposing a new era of Business Development across Division 7 and this will be one of many such initiatives.
Under this policy proposal Council would provide matched dollar for dollar grant to small businesses within the region which meet the strategy criteria to improve the accessibility of their businesses.
As we know disability increases with age, our ageing population has significant implications for future rates of disability in the Moreton Bay Region.
Yes, Council has to address issues with its own facilities but it also has to lead the way and assist small business and the like to prepare the way for a more accessible and inclusive Moreton Bay Region.
As Division 7 Councillor i’d work with PWD and community groups to ensure that our region is more accessible and inclusive for all of us.
As your elected Councillor I will:
- Ensure Access and inclusion plans – are reviewed and updated as needed in consultation with members of the community who have a disability
- Ensure there are enough accessible parking spaces to meet demand, and adocate to increase regulation when these parks are used by non-permit holders
- Community connections – I will ensure Council knows just how residents and visitors travel from their homes or accommodation to services and venues, including footpaths, kerb ramps, crossovers and pedestrian crossings, for potential infrastructure improvements
- Economic development – I will promote inclusive tourism opportunities and resources to improve skills and knowledge of local businesses to better serve people with a disability
- Transport – I will ensure that Council examines accessible transport options in our community including buses and taxis, and the connections between these options, so that people with a disability can access vital services such as healthcare
- Housing – I will promote planning outcomes that deliver accommodation that meets or exceeds liveable housing guidelines.
Authorised by H.Dobson, 4 Paroo Pl, Murrumba Downs for D.Teasdale (Candidate)